Thursday, December 17, 2009

What a treat I had tonight! When I got off work, I was facing a lonely evening at home, since Randy was working late. Shortly after leaving work, Amanda called and invited me to supper with her and Maddison and Mason. I got to see Mason's tiny red cast protecting his broken arm. It was cute, and he was very proud of it! Maddison ran to me and gave me a big hug and told me that she loved me. Not much better way to end a hard day than that. After supper I came home to a dark and quiet house. It makes me appreciate even more the life I have. I am blessed with a wonderful family, a comfortable home and someone to share my life with. I don't ever want to take any of this for granted, because you never know when it may end. I know that sounds rather morbid, but it is oh so true.
Work was stressful today. I suggested at my work that we forego exchanging gifts this year, and instead pool our funds and sponsor a family or two in need. My idea was to purchase items that cannot be purchased with food stamps, or that no other social agency supplies. There are so many families in need this year, it seemed wasteful to purchase trinkets for each other when the money could go to help others. The response was wonderful. We collected over $300 and lots of items were brought in. A co-worker and I shopped for the four families we selected, purchasing personal hygiene items, paper products and cleaning supplies (also lots of diapers and wipes). However, something happened later in the day with one of the families that was disheartening. It resulted in the parents going to jail. I think we are going to select a different family to share with, but the situation is especially sad, since children will have to now go into foster care. Even though I see sad situations all year long, they seem so much worse during the holidays. It sure makes me count and recount the many blessings in my life, not the least of which was loving and stable parents. Oh how I wish every child could have the love and stability they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment