Thursday, January 13, 2011

Just the Facts Ma'am

Okay, here are a few things that I know for a FACT:
1. I will never, ever have my home featured in Better Homes and Gardens
2. My style will never make the covers of magazines, or impress the most lackluster of tastes
3. I will never wow anyone with my talent in (pick one) art, music, dance, charm, craftsmanship etc
4. There will always be people in my life who are smarter, thriftier, stronger and nicer than me
5. I will always fall somewhere between excellent and poor. . . more in the average range

These things I also know to be Factual:
1. People will love me just because, and in spite of the above mentioned facts.
2. I will keep trying to improve myself, but probably won't make any giant leaps in abilities or talents
3. Even though I have shortcomings, people who love me won't really care
4. Most of the "stuff" that bothers me about me is superficial.
5. When you get to the heart of me, you can find some pretty good stuff.

Believe it or not, the words just written are my best shot at a pep talk. When I look around me, I see people who have so much talent and do so many wonderful things with their lives and skills. It sometimes makes me feel like I could be doing so much more. But at the end of the day, would achievement really make me happier? Most likely not, or I would find a way to accomplish more. I have reached an age where I mostly feel contentment with my life, but at the same time know enough to admire the talents and abilities of others. HMMMM..... The Common Touch?

No comments:

Post a Comment