Sunday, July 17, 2011

This and That

It has been a few days since I have posted. In that time, Jessica and I attended a reading conference in Columbia. We are discussion leaders for a program called "Read From the Start." It is a fun job, which we do about 4 times a year. The conference was at the Stoney Creek Inn, which is a rustic lodge type hotel. There were about 50 DLs there from all over the state. We had a great time! What I enjoyed most was having some one on one time with Jessica. Even though we see each other often, we seldom have time to just chat without distractions. I discovered anew what a wonderful woman my daughter has become. She has her father's super quick wit and also his outgoing personality. People seem to be naturally drawn to her. She joined the conference a little late, due to work obligations. For me, the fun began when she arrived. I have to admit that I tend to lean on my husband and daughter's outgoing personalities. I am naturally shy and introverted, and find myself staying to myself in large groups. She did not let me get by with that this weekend. We had a chance to talk about life decisions, childhood memories and the general state of marriage. It was wonderful.
When we arrived back home, we were greeted by the rest of the family. The grands were patiently (not) waiting for me to get home to "harvest" the peppers in our little box garden. They get so excited when our plants bear fruit. We later enjoyed a delicious fish fry (from the fish caught in Florida), and my son and daughter-in-law made homemade hushpuppies with diced jalapenos right from the garden. I admire my son and his wife and the team work they exhibit. They enjoy working together and as a team can accomplish so much! They seem to be in sync in most things they do, which makes them stronger as a pair than they would be solo. A great thing for a mother to observe!
Randy had worked in the heat much of Saturday doing his weekend chores so, this morning he helped me complete mine so we could enjoy some R and R before the weekend ended. Since it is so blooming hot here, we decided to rent a movie (Lincoln Lawyer) and spend the afternoon inside.
All in all, it has been a great weekend. Now back to Monday. . . yikes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment