Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Things that make me go hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have a new found fascination with living creatures. I am wondering if this is a latent response to growing up with a biology teacher for a father, living in the country, or maybe seeing the world through the eyes of two young children. Tonight we were watering our wilted landscape and I kept noticing bugs. First I saw 4 matching butterflies (or maybe they are moths, I can't remember how to tell the difference). I began to wonder what we had planted that was attracting them, since in 15 years here, I have never seen that many so close to the house. Then a bright green grasshopper crawled in front of me. I found myself observing this creature and looking for species specific traits. I am pretty sure I saw this insect poop. A first for me! Then a bumble bee buzzed by and randomly landed on some blooms, but appeared to be very particular in his choices.
On to the garden with the hose, and what did we see, lizards! And then the bunnies came out to play. I am fascinated with the games they play in the evening. I was telling my granddaughter one evening about the fun the bunnies were having and how they were chasing each other. She said; "But why are they chasing each other?" I didn't know what to say, because I have always taken rabbits games at face value. . . that is just what they do, I have always thought. However, her question got me to thinking. Are they just having fun? Maybe it is a dating ritual. How can you tell if they are mad and chasing each other in anger?
I need some feed back from my peers (over 50 age group). Has aging made you curious about things you used to take for granted? Do you find yourself seeking information just to have it? Curious minds want to know. Just some of the things that make me go hmmmmmmmmmm!

2 comments:

  1. I am just a mere 42, but I will say that I already appreciate things around me so much more than I did when I was younger. I notice more too now that I live out in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to chime in at a ripe old age of 35. My wife says that is old.
    Anyways, onward to your question...
    I would like to say that the other day I was thinking about how different the world looks and feels compared to how it did when I was just a young buck. I realize how frivolous life seemed back then, and how things are today. I know that knowledge is a big player in this aspect of life, but I feel that experience and wisdom has developed my reality of life around me. Basically, I was just living life as a kid and now I am a part of it. I seemed to be more happier then, though, so yes, it is true ignorance is bliss.
    I don't know if I answered your question, but I felt compelled to share.

    ReplyDelete