Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holiday Countdown!

I am now officially on vacation for a bit. Today has been very long and tiring for me. I am not sure if it is the emotional drain from the job, or fighting this allergy/cold thing I have had for two weeks or maybe just the extra work load this time of year.
I almost always leave my job at work. I have the kind of job that can really get to you if you "bring it home". I work in public health and we see plenty of sad situations through the year, but somehow they seem worse this time of year. There are a couple of families I have on my mind today that are worrisome. Like many other caring people that I work with, I get frustrated with some of the decisions people make. There is something about "wasted" potential that makes me crazy. I know that people have free will and all, but when they make mistakes that are sure to haunt them for a very long time, I want to intervene. But for some, all the education, support and guidance in the world will not keep them from self-destructing. But why? Why do people do things that will prevent them from being (take your pick: happy, healthy, successful etc, etc.). And I can almost understand someone taking risks and pushing the limits if they only have themselves to worry about, but these are people with children and families who love them. . . . See what I mean? It has been a hard day.
I guess it is a good thing that I have a few days off. . . I need to clear my mind and start fresh again.
Now on to the vacation plans. We are having guests for the holiday and Josh will be home for several days. It is so comforting to have your chicks back in their nest, even if it for only a short period of time. We don't have any major plans for the holidays, just family, food and fun.
I continue to reflect daily on how lucky I am. I hope to never have to say, "I didn't know how lucky I used to have it". Because I think I do know how lucky I am. God has been good to my family and me. I hope your blessings are abundant and that you feel the full gratitude of these blessings. Have a very Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment