Friday, April 8, 2011

The High Cost of Living

Wasn't there a country song called "The High Cost of Living"? If not, there should be. In our area today gas went up to $3.65 a gallon, about the 3rd or 4th increase in the last two weeks. And if that wasn't bad enough, I had to go grocery shopping. I decided to visit Aldis since my last trip to the big discount store about gave me a nervous breakdown with the grocery prices ($5 for a pint of tomatoes?!). I am a price watcher, but I don't usually obsess about the costs, just pay attention. At this bag your own, bring your own bag, dig out of a box, pay a quarter for a cart, wait in line "cheap" store, I paid $1.61 for a 5# bag of flour. Very recently it was $1.19, and I thought that was high! And my meat loving husband could not even bring himself to pay the high prices for pork that they charged. . . instead we opted to buy whole chickens and cut them up ourselves. I am not sure what is going to happen to the middle class family, especially the ones with small children. If you don't get food stamps, and you aren't rich, you are going to spend a whole big chunk of your paycheck on food. Is anyone else out there worried about this? I may start blogging some money saving tips. . . I know I could sure use some. I promise to blog about happier things this weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Gas is up to 4.15 for the cheap gas in our area. And a head of lettuce that I can pay between 49 and 99 cents a head is up to 1.75!! I'm not sure which to choose, gas for the car or food for the family. Its out of control!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to make a big grocery trip today and it was painful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually cook almost everything from "scratch". I don't rely on frozen meals or preprepared foods. My hubby does drink a lot of soda, and we eat a lot of fruits and veggies. . . I cannot imagine how it would be to feed a whole family right now. One big step I am taking is to make a conscious effort to never throw any food out. I hate waste!

    ReplyDelete