Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. I have such a love/hate relationship with cleaning in general, specifically my house. Growing up, my mom spent the better part of every Saturday cleaning. That left her very little time to do anything else on the weekend. Right then and there, I decided that I didn't want to have cleaning take such a big chunk out of my life. But, what is one to do, when one likes a clean house? There lies my dilemna (sp?).
Over the years I have tried different strategies. At times I have devoted some time before work every day to cleaning an area. . . bathroom, kitchen, floors etc. On very rare occasions, I have actually hired someone to help clean (when I began working full time). The plan I like best is to keep up the day to day stuff, and then once a month have someone come in and do deeper cleaning than I like to do. But once someone quits, I really drag my feet on replacing them. Partly because I think how many ways I could use that extra money, and partly because it just seems like such an effort. I have to admit that the house doesn't need a lot of attention with just the two of us at home. When the little ones come on weekends, it is a different story.
I have managed to slide by most of this winter with out too much worry, since it has been so gray and overcast most days that I can't see the dirt. Today the sun came out and boy, oh, boy! My floors need attention, the windows are dirty and there is dust everywhere.
And while we are on the subject of cleaning. . . I would just like to say that my standards aren't what they used to be. There was a time when I made sure that the furniture was dusted weekly, and the carpet vacumned weekly. No so much any more! Call me lazy, say my priorities have changed, pass judgement on me anyway you see fit. Just don't expect me to keep the house so clean. After all, there are now grandchildren to entertain (jigsaw puzzles, nature walks, cooking projects, legos to assemble), books to read, and blogs to write. (Hey, any excuse is a good excuse to not clean). I am back to thinking that I might need to hire someone monthly, at least to make me feel better.
And the elephant in the room is. . . oh, you mean my husband. Yes, he does still live here. It is just that cleaning is really not his thing at all. If prodded, pushed and cajoled, he will assist. In fact, he has gotten quite proficient at helping with dishes and taking out the trash. However, I just can't see him picking up a mop or a dustcloth.
Now that I have cleansed my soul of this emotional burden, I think I will curl up on the couch and read. Maybe I will dust in the morning. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment