Friday, May 11, 2012

Dear Mom

 Dear Mom:
It is hard to believe that you have been gone for over 25 years.  I didn't realize it at the time, but cancer took you in the very prime of your life.  After raising 3 children and working a demanding job, you were so close to being able to retire and relax.  I still miss you.  I still talk about you.  I still quote you and wonder what it would be like to talk to you again.  I still want to be like you.
Now my grandchildren are the age that your grandchildren were when you died.  What joy and fun you missed out on.  It doesn't seem fair, somehow. You would have been such a wonderful grandma to your grandchildren.  The older ones still remember you, the younger ones not as much.  Debbie and David and I have made it a point to make sure our children know what a special person you were.
The lessons you taught me have carried me well through my adult life.  I credit you for teaching me about priorities and values.  I remember you saying, (about 1,000 times) that people matter more than things.  And of course there was the golden rule that you loved, and the serenity prayer that you believed in so deeply.   I frequently share stories about how you taught us to love reading and music.  I remember hot summer days spent laying on the floor reading with you in front of a fan, and the nights that you sat up with me as I was struggling to breath, reading me stories.  I know that my memory is fading, but I honestly do not remember ever hearing you complain. . .  is that even possible? 
I guess if I had to pick out one single way you changed my life, it would be teaching me the appreciation of family.   I may not always show it, but not a day goes by that I don't stop and say a little prayer of thankfulness to God that I have my family.  I spend every minute I can with my grandchildren and hope to pass along some of the life joys you taught me. . .  love of nature and reading, appreciation for the world around us, and an inner peace and tranquility.
Mom, I really want to thank you for the love you gave me as a child, the values you shared and the example you set.  Randy and I credit you and Berniece with being our heavenly "angels" that have watched over our marriage and parenthood.  I hope and pray that someday Jessica and Josh, Amanda and Scott, Maddison and Mason reflect on me as fondly as I reflect on you.
Happy Mother's Day,
Love, Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment